Ol Skool Mary

Dont get me wrong..I love Mary J. Blige. I think she is one of the best things to happen to R&B. Love her voice. But I cant say I enjoy her music as of late. The last album I thoroughly enjoyed was 1997's "Share My World". After then..things got a bit shaky. I dont feeeeel her music like I used to. Her songs dont resonate with me.

Now sum ppl say they want the depressed Mary, the I got 99 problems and a man is definitely one Mary..but I dont. Though that is when she made her best music..I'm glad she's found happiness within herself, career, marriage, etc. I just want that same song quality..that soul music u can feel whether u've been through that particular situation or not.

Whenever I'm goin thru sumthin (particularly in relationships) I can turn to 1994's "My Life". Let me give you a few examples of the gems from this album:

"I'm the Only Woman":

I gave my heart to you
What more can I do
To show you how much I care
About you and all the little things you do
But see all I ask is that
You make me feel like I'm somebody
All day, all day, everyday, give your lovin' away

Baby, can't you see
If we should part
That all my days of loving you
You know they weren't that hard
That's why I'm saying I gotta be strong



"You Gotta Believe":


Why don't you believe in me
Tell me why you don't see
That you can put your trust in me
And let me lead the way
Please baby take my hand
I don't need another man
But if you wanna hold on tight
You cannot be afraid


"I Never Want to Live Without You"

This song is so sick I gotta post two verses lol!



What is this feeling? I can't sleep at night
Just thinking 'bout being without you
Work 'til I'm tired and I can't eat a bite
Cause I know someday you're going away


I have the man that I want
I prayed so many nights for you
And then my prayers came true
Now that I have the answer,
I'll be wishing on a star
I'll follow you where you are

Baby, won't you stay with me a little while?



"Dont Go":

I know you're a busy man
But you don't understand
How it feels to be alone
When times get hard and
I want to feel your
Sweet and tender touch
That's all I'm askin' baby
Cause I never asked for much


Wheeewww..SANG IT MARY SANG IT! I tell ya..this album helps a sista get thru ok?! Real Soul Music at its FINEST! Can I get the ol skool Mary back?

Comments

BassClef75 said…
Hey Soulstress,

I feel you on the old school Mary, I really do. The only thing I can say is the reason why we don't get the old Mary anymore is that her audience has broaden like crazy, and the amount of producers she works with now. If you got the chance to check out Vh1 "Storytellers", they're were a lot of whites, front row, having a good ole time lol. Plus, with my life I think she was exclusviely working with Puffy and I think Chucky Thompson and that's it. Now, it seems like the one with the hottest beat or hook gets on the album. But I am with you, I want the ole mary back too. Dark sunglasses, timbo's Mary. Come on back home!!
Kofi Bofah said…
Ha!

I laughed at your waking up and having a nightmare line.

Popular Posts